Your skin is one of your most visible features – why not make it radiant? Whether you are interested in plastic surgery or not, improving your skin is a relatively low cost way to brighten your look every day. It can have a huge impact on how you feel about your appearance, and knowing your skin is beautiful will help you smile more – making you more beautiful still.
So what do I need?
Skin care can be confusing. Everyone claims they have the perfect solution to aging, wrinkles, tired skin, sagging skin, etc. You’ve heard the hype! You certainly don’t need all that, but there are a few essentials. So here are the building blocks of healthy skin:
- Cleanser – get the dirt, oil and makeup off
- Exfoliate – remove dead outer layers of skin and stimulate new growth
- Nourish – Vitamins and nutrients essential to skin growth can give you that glow!
- SUNSCREEN –Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB protection! Every day – not just at the beach!
After the basics of care – we add in treatments to correct any skin issues you want to improve. Some of our best treatments include:
- Tretinoin or Tazarotene – powerful stimulators to increase dermal growth and thickness. They minimize pore size, improve texture, and improve skin health.
- Hydroquinone – regulates melanin producing cells to decrease excess pigment – decreasing freckles, “age spots” and melisma
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids – a more gentle stimulator of dermal growth – can be used in daily doses in lotions or stronger doses in peels
- Beta Hydroxy Acid – Salicylic acid – similar in function to alpha hydroxy but lipid soluble instead of water soluble. May be a better fit for oilier skin and have penetration into the deeper layers.
- Laser light or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – These can help rapidly turn over skin by disrupting specific elements and accelerating their turnover
- Heat – This is delivered as a radiofrequency to the dermis and can help tighten and smooth excess skin
We have many products today that will accomplish all you need to really present your best face to the world. I am constantly testing and trying products on myself to see what works as well as following anti-aging research and the latest science in the marketplace. For every category of skin care basic there are really great products that are on the pricier side, and some less expensive options as well.
Here are some of my favorites…
Revision Skin Care Intellishade – This is my favorite product right now. It has moisturizer, antioxidants, and a little tint to cover any irregularities in your complexion (Let’s face it – we all have them!). Sometimes it offers more coverage than I want – so I mix it with a little moisturizer to thin it out. If I’m having a tough day I use it full strength. Best of all – It offers that mineral sunscreen that lasts and lasts. So put it on and go about your day looking terrific!
Revision Necktifirm – So most of us understand the neck is a special place. It’s hard to improve skin quality without causing irritation in this area and it’s so sensitive! It’s the only topical cream I’ve found that will really improve neck lines and texture. For those people in Fairfax and Virginia looking for a non-surgical neck fix, this is it.
Amlactin – Here’s the gold mine hiding in your drugstore. I use this all winter all over my body – and on my face too! It’s got a really high level of alpha hydroxyl acids that exfoliate and improve skin quality while they moisturize. You’ll feel it after a shave or if your skin is chapped – it stings a little – but it really works! No frills here, just a great product.
Peter Thomas Roth Anti-aging Buffing Beads – I like this for body exfoliation and sometimes on the face too. It’s not as aggressive as some of the products I use on my face, but it does a nice job, and sometimes a girl needs a break! And it’s available in a stronger salicylic version too for blemish prone skin. Best of all – it’s 20.00 for 8.5 oz on amazon. If you want more immediate gratification you can pay 38.00 at Sephora…
Teoxane RHA Lotion – This is a splurge, but I love it. We sell it at the office and it is a specially formulated Resilient Hyaluronic Acid (RHA) that works hard to moisturize and nourish your skin to bring out the healthy, smooth glow that is inside all of us. It’s especially helpful when using a tretinoin or tazarotene – products that improve texture but can be irritating. It’s also useful for post-procedure (laser or peel) recovery once the initial raw period is over. It’s a real building block for beautiful skin. This is an every day product for me. It’s available in a serum too – with more nutrient and less moisture for oilier skin.
Stay tuned – I’ll add to this page again when I find my next favorites!!