A sagging brow can cause your eyebrows to droop and eyes to appear hooded rather than alert. A brow lift repositions the skin of your brow higher on your forehead, lifting the brow to:
- Create a more open look for the eyes.
- Improve the appearance of the face.
- Raise the position of the eyebrows.
Fairfax and Northern Virginia patients frequently combine a brow lift with procedures such as a blepharoplasty to enhance smoothness around the eyes.
Should I Get a Brow Lift?
Patients with more severe hooding on the eyes can benefit from combining a brow lift with a blepharoplasty. By raising the brow level, you can attain ideal facial proportions and bring out shape and brightness of your eyes. A brow lift can be performed on most patients provided that they are in good health and do not smoke.
Types of Brow Lift Incisions
There are two main incisions to release the ligaments that hold down your eyebrows. One type of incision is made behind the hairline with the plastic surgeon guiding an endoscope through a small incision. The other common incision is through the upper lid and performed without the use of an endoscope. During your consultation, Dr. Jespersen will discuss the advantages of each incision and help you choose the one that attains your desired results.
Do I Need Other Procedures?
Although a brow lift can be performed on its own, many Fairfax and Northern Virginia patients combine this procedure with upper and lower eyelifts, facelift, and skin resurfacing to achieve a completely revitalized look. The purpose of your consultation is to find out what you want to change and how to boost your self-confidence. During a consultation, Dr. Jespersen will:
- Listen to your concerns and the results that you want to achieve.
- Explain what the brow lift can do and suggest other procedures if they are needed to help you get the result that you want.
- Discuss your medical history and evaluate your risks for surgery. This is to avoid the possibility of complications and keep you as safe as possible.
- Answer any questions and concerns that you have about the procedure so that you can make an informed choice.
Dr. Jespersen helps all her patients choose procedures that will give them the most natural-looking results with the least downtime and lowest risk of complications. Her surgical expertise and compassionate nature ensure that you will receive excellent care before, during, and after your procedure.
What Will Happen During the Surgery?
Once you are ready for a brow lift, Dr. Jespersen will schedule surgery for a time when you will be able to relax and recuperate fully after the surgery. On the day of surgery, an anesthesiologist will administer general anesthesia and Dr. Jespersen will:
- Use the incision you decided on together before surgery to minimize scarring and discomfort after surgery.
- Lift your brow ligaments and skin.
- Secure your brow with sutures and close the incision.
A few days after the procedure you will be able to see a lifted and more aesthetically positioned brow for a more rested and youthful look.
How Long Will It Take to Recover?
There is some variation for how long healing will take based on your specific surgery and whether additional procedures were performed, but Fairfax and Northern Virginia patients can expect:
- 1-2 days: Peak of discomfort and pain. Pain medication will be prescribed to help you manage.
- 5-7 days: Sutures are removed, and some minor swelling and bruising remains.
- 7-14 days: Patients can go back to work and resume physical activity.
Dr. Jespersen will give you specific instructions following your procedure to help you heal. It is important to follow her advice exactly to get the best results.
To find out more about what a brow lift can do for you, schedule a consultation by calling our office in the Fairfax and Northern Virginia area at (703) 992-7969 or fill out the contact form on the side.