All women have one breast that is slightly different from the other. While some breast asymmetry is completely normal, it may become an issue when the difference is noticeable. Most women begin thinking about a procedure when one breast’s position, shape, or size gets in the way of everyday activity, causing self-consciousness about appearance or intimacy.
More frequently than not, the problem arises in adolescence. Many teens will request a parent’s help in addressing this issue, and often parents are unaware of the issue. In teens we construct a plan that takes future growth and development into account. Even with continued growth, significant breast asymmetry tends to worsen, not improve. So thinking “she’ll grow out of it” usually just delays addressing the problem until adulthood and adds years of self-consciousness.
The good news is that regardless of your age, you are not alone. Many Fairfax and Northern Virginia women experience this problem and have fixed it with the help of an experienced plastic surgeon.
How Do I Know If My Breasts are Asymmetrical?
Some women are born with the makings of asymmetric breasts, while others have surgical procedures for breast cancer or other medical conditions that cause the asymmetry. A little difference is completely natural, so if your breasts are not exactly the same it is only a problem if it bothers you.
Women who experience breast asymmetry notice one or more of the following differences in size that include:
- At least one cup of size difference between breasts.
- Variation in the shape of each breast.
- One breast being in a different position than the other.
It is entirely up to the individual woman to judge whether to accept this difference or to change it with surgery.
What Can I Do About My Asymmetric Breasts?
Cosmetic surgery allows Fairfax and Northern Virginia women to reshape and enhance their breasts so that there is improved symmetry. If you are considering this as an option, there are a number of procedures that you can choose depending on how you want to look:
- Breast augmentation gives breasts more volume by inserting implants. Women with different sized breasts who want larger breasts choose this procedure.
- Breast reduction removes tissue from the breast to decrease volume. This procedure is for women with different sized breasts who want smaller breasts.
- Breast Lift moves the position of the breast, usually higher, to eliminate sagging. This surgery is performed on women with breasts that are in different positions.
- Nipple Reconstruction is performed to change the appearance of one or both nipples. This is often combined with another procedure.
You may want to perform one or more of the procedures to shape natural-looking symmetric breasts. During an initial consultation you will have the opportunity to explore and discuss the option or options that are right for you.
What Procedure is Right for Me?
While many women simply want to add volume with a breast augmentation and breast lift to match the size and positions of their breasts, there are different options to consider when choosing a procedure. The best way for you to determine the right option is to schedule a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon who understands the procedures that will work for your body.
Dr. Jespersen is a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and breast reconstruction procedures. During a consultation Dr. Jespersen will:
- Listen to your concerns and ultimate cosmetic goals.
- Discuss the options for natural-looking breasts that enhance your entire figure.
- Answer any questions during or after the consultation to make sure that you are ready for the procedure.
Dr. Jespersen is happy to advise women on any corrective surgery procedure from both a professional and personal perspective, whether or not you decide to have surgery.
Caring and Professional Approach
The most important factors to consider when choosing a cosmetic surgeon is board certification and specialized training in breast and breast reconstruction surgery. Because the breast is a complex structure with many different choices for procedures and implants, your surgeon should be knowledgeable about results that you want and what works for your body.
Dr. Jespersen is a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and reconstructive surgery. Fairfax and Northern Virginia patients trust her expert opinion on how to achieve beautiful, natural results.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Jespersen, call our office in the Fairfax and Northern Virginia area at (703) 992-7969 or fill out the contact form on the side.